Cheezy Vegan Pasta and Peas
vegan, makes about 5 cups pasta
1 box of kid-sized pasta – 8 ounces dry
*I used a gluten free corn based tube pasta, you can use anything small
splash of EVOO
2 Tbsp vegan butter OR 2 Tbsp EVOO + 1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp garlic paste
1/2 – 3/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 1/2 cups frozen peas
2 Tbsp 21-seasoning blend (like Mrs Dash, salt-free)
salt/pepper to taste
optional: 1-2 Tbsp lemon juice or apple cider vinegar for a bright accent
1. Bring a pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta. Cook for about 6-8 minutes (or as on box). During last minute, add in the frozen peas. I like to do this in a strainer so that they don’t get mixed up with the pasta just yet – but still cook through.
2. Drain pasta and set aside cooked peas.
3. Add pasta to a large mixing bowl and add in a splash of EVOO – toss well.
4. Next, add in either more EVOO or the vegan butter. Toss until well distributed.
5. Add in the garlic and toss.
6. Lastly, add in the spices and nutritional yeast. You can add more nutritional yeast if you’d like – depending on how savory and cheezy you want it. Salt and pepper to taste.
7. Lastly, fold in the peas. Serve warm or stick in fridge until ready for use.